Converting Date DD-MMM-YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY

• Hi there,

Could someone please help me in converting the date format DD-MMM-YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY?

I've tried using text to column, followed by the logical if function, then proceedding with concatenating but it doesn't work as I think I'm limited to a certain amount of logical test.

This is what I've done:

Current format:

11-MAY-2009

Text to column gives:

MAY

Then proceeding with the logical Test:

=IF(B2="JAN";"01";IF(B2="FEB";"02";IF(B2="MAR";"03";IF(B2="AVR";"04";IF(B2="MAY";"05";IF(B2="JUN";"06";IF(B2="JUL";"7";IF(B2="AUG";"8";"00"))))))))

And finallt concatenating gives:

=A2&"/"&D2&"/"&C2 --> 11/05/2009

but I'm limited with the logical test :(

Any other alternative?

Thanks,

Jeremie Henry

• Re: Converting Date DD-MMM-YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY

using vba:

Code
    Range("A1").Value = Format(Range("A1").value, "dd/mm/yyyy")

Or by formatting the cell by right clicking, selecting Date, and adjusting the parameters

Regards

Attila

Hi again..

Another quick question, how do I use the macro above if I have to convert one whole row/column of data (date in the DD/MMM/YYYY fomat).

the code only works for individual cell.

Thanks.

Jeremie.

As Attila mentioned, you don't need a macro to do this. Highlight the column, hit CTRL +1, go to "Date" and find your format, or go to "Custom" and enter "dd/mm/yyyy"

Thanks for the reply but excel doesn't recognise DD-MMM-YYYY as a date format when selecting the Ctrl+1 and attempting to change the format from there.

Any other solution please? Could you please customize the script above so that it will work for rows/column?

Thanks,

Jeremie.

In your example the month name is in English (May not Mai), is that true for all dates? What does 1st May look like, is it 01-MAY-2009 with a leading zero or 1-MAY-2009?

If you are going to select the row column before running the macro:

Code
    Selection.Value = Format(Selection.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")

If you already know which columns use Range("A:A") or for rows Range("1:1") instead of Selection

Regards

Attila

Thanks for the answer Atttila.

I've tried running the macro you've provided but receiving the error message below:

Runtime error 13, type mismatch.

Code
    Range("E:E").Select
    Selection.Value = format(Selection.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks once more for your help,

Jeremie

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!