Posts by SomeoneHere

I am trying to figure out if there is a way for excel to keep data from a previous ms query and put a new query in the same spreadsheet only below the original query? Basically what I want the spreadsheet to be able to do is someone enters in the parameter for the query and the it returns the query in the excel spreadsheet. You can then enter additional information in other columns about the data. (This is what I have been able to get done so far) Now if the person refreshes the data this person gets asked for a new parameter and a new query is done. And obviously the old query is not there. Is there a way for that old query to stay on the spreadsheet and the new one to just go below the rows that are filled. I hope that makes sense.

I am curious in ms query is there a way for a parameter to be put into a like statement? Basically I want to do string search when the user enters Billy I want it to return "Billy bob", "bob Billy", and "Billy" not just Billy. I get a syntax error if I put in the wildcard % or a like in front of the parameter. Any suggestions or has anyone been able to do this?

I was wondering is there a way that when you open an excel file that is linked to a query is there a way for the user to be able to send a parameter? And that parameter be passed as an argument that the query is done with. For instance if in my database I had peoples names and the user wants all names that have cleo in it be returned to the spreadsheet? Is there a way that microsoft query or excel allows me to do this?

I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue. My problem somes when I try to sort my spreadsheet by a row. My spreadsheet is over 300 pages long. The way it is set up is when a user enters a value in one column an answer is generated in another column. If not it is just a blank space. Here is the formula in excel:
    =IF(H4="","",IF(F4>H4,F4-H4, H4-F4))
    Now my question is this. I thought by default when you sort in ascending or descending blank cells always go to the bottom. When I sort descending all the blank values come first and then the information I really want is at the bottom. I was wondering is there a way so that the blank cells will always be sorted to the bottom? I hope that you guys understand what I am trying to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any option to check or any way so that I could sort a spreadsheet using the sort command where cells with formulas in it (not values) are left at the bottom of the spreadsheet? Is the only way of doing this by using vb?

I was wondering if there is any way to pull only specific instances in a database into excel? For example there is a table with names in it. Is there a way in excel that I can have it search and just return information about that name so that I can add information into the spreadsheet about that name rather than view all information about all names and then adding to that spreadsheet. Thanks for any help.