Posts by Brandtrock

Re: Norie Hits 9000 Posts

Congratulations Norie,

Your contributions here are much appreciated. I don't get to the forums as much as I'd like either. My PC is fine, in fact if I had your machine I'd probably get more net time on the net. If my sons had to endure more than a second or two to get onto a site, they'd leave the PC alone and I could use it!!

Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Re: Running A Macro Automatically At The Start Of A Show

Events in PowerPoint aren't used as easily as in Excel or Word. I have attached an example of how you can get this to work. You will need to utilize a class module in an add-in. Take a look and see what you think. Post back with any questions.

I'll be gone swimming with my sons for a while, but I'll check back later.

Regards,

Re: Pivot Table Calculated Item Removal

Dave,

That simply changes the zeros to blanks. I think Pete is looking for a way to get the lines with a 0 GP to be hidden.

Pete,

The Pivot Table Item will calculate itself using the base data. Therefore, you are getting the extra zero values because the PT is figuring the Sales - COS for each contract under each BM in each Area.

A calculated Field on the other hand only computes on the aggregated values in the pivot table. Unfortunately, the data layout you have makes this unworkable as the Category field contains both the Sales and the COS labels.

If you are agreeable to a VBA solution, you could hide rows with 0 in the GP column containing zero and have it fire when the PT is refreshed. Perhaps not a perfect solution, but it would remove the button from the process.

Regards,

Re: Functions And Statements In Vba

I found this in the Visual Basic Help:

List of Worksheet Functions Available to Visual Basic

Acos

Acosh

And

Asin

Asinh

Atan2

Atanh

AveDev

Average

BetaDist

BetaInv

BinomDist

Ceiling

ChiDist

ChiInv

ChiTest

Choose

Clean

Combin

Confidence

Correl

Cosh

Count

CountA

CountBlank

CountIf

Covar

CritBinom

DAverage

Days360

Db

DCount

DCountA

Ddb

Degrees

DevSq

DGet

DMax

DMin

Dollar

DProduct

DStDev

DStDevP

DSum

DVar

DVarP

Even

ExponDist

Fact

FDist

Find

FindB

FInv

Fisher

FisherInv

Fixed

Floor

Forecast

Frequency

FTest

Fv

GammaDist

GammaInv

GammaLn

GeoMean

Growth

HarMean

HLookup

HypGeomDist

Index

Intercept

Ipmt

Irr

IsErr

IsError

IsLogical

IsNA

IsNonText

IsNumber

Ispmt

IsText

Kurt

Large

LinEst

Ln

Log

Log10

LogEst

LogInv

LogNormDist

Lookup

Match

Max

MDeterm

Median

Min

MInverse

MIrr

MMult

Mode

NegBinomDist

NormDist

NormInv

NormSDist

NormSInv

NPer

Npv

Odd

Or

Pearson

Percentile

PercentRank

Permut

Phonetic

Pi

Pmt

Poisson

Power

Ppmt

Prob

Product

Proper

Pv

Quartile

Radians

Rank

Rate

Replace

ReplaceB

Rept

Roman

Round

RoundDown

RoundUp

RSq

RTD

Search

SearchB

Sinh

Skew

Sln

Slope

Small

Standardize

StDev

StDevP

StEyx

Substitute

Subtotal

Sum

SumIf

SumProduct

SumSq

SumX2MY2

SumX2PY2

SumXMY2

Syd

Tanh

TDist

Text

TInv

Transpose

Trend

Trim

TrimMean

TTest

USDollar

Var

VarP

Vdb

VLookup

Weekday

Weibull

ZTest

Re: Live Long And Prosper

Thanks Will.

Drink a pint or two for me, the boys are out of school for the summer now. First day of vacation and the complex pool is closed down due to failing a public health test!!! Guess I'll be going to the public pool with the lads (supposed to be 100+ Fahrenheit today).

Regards,

Will I live to see 80?

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?"

"Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

I said, "No, my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?"

"No, I don't," I said.

He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No," I said.

He looked at me and said, "Then, why do you even give a s**t?"

Regards,

This is an interesting [URL="http://books.google.com/books?id=FPMpZ2qMkKwC&dq=Secrets+of+Successful+Software+Requirements&pg=PA110&ots=tbjF4OgCWc&sig=-Pf1ev4KqCe1CPb_kJsIEWmcvaY&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DSecrets%2Bof%2BSuccessful%2BSoftware%2BRequirements&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1#PPP1,M1"]book[/URL]. Not a how to program book, but a bit of a perspective builder as it looks at the development of software from a historical perspective and an eye toward the future.

If you have some spare time, then consider picking it up.

Regards,

Re: Sorry for the Inconvenience Excel Needs to Shutdown. When Saving

I had this problem when I was launching an instance of Excel in the background and not cleaning up properly (Setting my object = nothing).

Everyone who wants to pile on can do so now.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Bad Brandtrock, now go to your corner for time out!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Anyway, I used the Task Manager to kill my rogue instances, and the problem went away.

As with anything related to Excel, there are multiple reasons for the particular error message to be thrown about (because providing too many specific error messages with meaningful descriptions would cause MS too many headaches, especially when the end users can ask in any of a number of forums for help) so I don't know if my experience will relate at all to your specific problem. Just thought that I would share my experience just in case it helps.

Regards,

Re: Little Cells Inside The Main Cell

When the Word file is open, press the Show/Hide Paragraph button. It looks like a fancy backward capital P. This shows where the enter key has been pressed to create lines in the "main" cells in the Word Document. Excel appears to be interpreting these as individual rows.

Regards,

Re: Vba Code In Crystal Reports?

Give this guy a whirl, lots of information and good help there.

Will is exactly right about database vs. reporting tool. If you simply want to suppress the display of duplicate records, Crystal reports has a couple of ways to do that within the report design.

The fields that duplicates are in can be set up to not display duplicates, OR the selection criteria can be set up using SQL coding or Crystal basic syntax to only select the desired records.

Crystal is hard software to provide "blind" help on. It is also hard to provide an example as the connection to the data isn't there, although that isn't always a complete roadblock.

Check out Ken's site (link above) and see if he has anything related to what you need, he is by far the most experienced Crystal Reports expert I have come across on the web.

Regards,

I was working on a project the other night. Anytime a cell in column G was selected, I needed to check another column to see if there was data in it and, depending on that result, enter one of two results in column G.

I won't divulge how long it took me beating my head against a brick wall trying to "fix" my selection change code. I was very distraught at how easily I had buggered up what was supposed to be a quick little code snippet.

My 11 year old asked me why I was so upset. Figuring that talking it out might help, I explained to him exactly what was SUPPOSED to happen.

He looked at my code and said, "You want it to work in which column?"

I said, "G".

I saw him using an age old technique that very often produces correct results. As he said each letter of the alphabet from A to G, he extended a new finger. At G, he had seven fingers held up. He smugly turned to me and said, "Why are you using 8 in your code when G is 7?"

:crying:

At least I got it fixed.

Hope this brings those who read it some relief in the form of laughter, either with or at me, both are welcome.

Regards,

Re: Vba Assignment

Neil,

You seem sincere enough in your desire to learn with a helping hand on the sticky spots. I'm willing to take you at your word on that for now. I went to the link from your other post and read through what was assigned. I think I have a grasp of what the instructor is after from the students.

Have you:

• Followed the instructions to download the file?
    • Read through the sample code provided in the template?
    • Got an idea how you would solve this particular task on paper?

I'm in the western US and have developed a nasty habit of staying up into the wee hours of the morning. My wife needs a ride to work in the middle of my night, so I just lurk here and at VBA Express until time to take her. All of that to say that I will download the file and look at the code sometime in the next 24 hours.

I do have to squeeze in some time on this little project I have going called "The rest of my life", but will donate some time and effort to you provided you take the initiative and get to a sticking point.

Regards,

Re: Post

Go to the Excel Help forum. Push the New Topic button. Enter an appropriate title, making sure to observe all of the rules you agreed to when you signed up. Describe your question in a clear, concise, and to the point way. Include the necessary details and the specific problem you are having.

If necessary attach a file as an example. Use the manage attachments button below the main reply window.

Regards,