Posts by 01silverado

Re: Validation Rule For List Box In A Table

Maybe Im not doing it right.
    I am using Row Source to select the table. The List Box shows the correct information, but the user can type anything in the column. I want the user to only be able to select data from the list box.

I think I have a fairly simple problem. I am wanting the user to only be able to choose data from the list box in the table.

Table 1 has a list of departments
    Table 2 has a list box connected to table 1.
    I want the user to only be able to enter a field from the list box (if the department exists in table 1)

Can I just do this with the valadation Rule? Is this syntax correct?
    = [Table 1]![departments]

Thanks for the help
    Jason

Re: Relating several fields in multiple tables

Thanks for the help. I was able to get some ideas and get it working. I did:

Tool# Table
    Tool#
    ToolDesc
    ToolParameter ....

Package # Table
    PackageCode
    PackageDesc
    Tool#

Then I made a query to show all the records for that Package #.
    Package Query
    PackageCode
    PackageDesc
    Tool#
    ToolDesc

Last question I think. Can I make a form that will allow the user to enter the Package # and as many tools as they need on one screen? And then it will automatically input a record for each tool#, instead of having to enter the package # and tool # for every record. Not sure, this may require in depth programming?
    thanks again

Re: Relating several fields in multiple tables

Thanks for the help. Im still trying to play around with the Join Properties of the relationships.
    The Tool Package Table may have anywhere from 1 to 20 tools. Do I have to make the table have a Tool1, Tool2, Tool3, etc?
    Then do I just add a relationship from Tool #(Tool database) to each one of the Tool#s(Tool Package database)? Does that make sense?
    thanks again : D

Im pretty new to all this Access. I think I have an easy question I just have no idea how to search for it. I have 2 tables.
    Tool # Table: name of tool and all specs
    Tool Package Table: May list several Tool #'s, other data
    I then want to make a Query that links all this together. So if I search for a record in the Tool Package Table, it will show all the tools and there specs from the Tool # Table. How do I link these together? With a Relationship?
    Thanks for all the help,
    Jason