Posts by Gorgey

Re: Project Plan with Gantt Chart and Resources Management

Hi Gizzmo,

Thanks for the update macro! I slightly changed the code to make sure only the current date in the "date table" is colored.
    I also expanded the plan to 2 years (+/- 700 columns) and to about 80 rows to see how quickly the macro could do its magic. Unfortunately is does take some time (more than what I hoped). Is there any other trick that could be consider to speed up the update?

(For some reason I cannot upload this new and larger project plan, sorry).

Kind regards,

Greg

Re: Project Plan with Gantt Chart and Resources Management

Thanks a lot Gizzmo for your quick reply and for the great help!

Your macro is indeed answering most of my questions. If I am correct this macro does not run automatically (which may actually be nice in order to keep the file and the process as light as possible). I will then add a button to be able to manually update the Gantt chart. Would it be possible to run this macro automatically at least once, e.g. at start up or while closing the file?

Regarding the colors, this works very well as well! The colors in the "date" table were however different to the colors in column B. I found out that replacing "Interior.ColorIndex" by "Interior.Color" ensures that colors remain unaltered. Is this the right solution?

I will definitely apply this macro to my large 300x900 spreadsheet. I am quite sure it will dramatically reduce the size of my file and improve the overall usability.

Thanks again for your help!

Greg

Dear Ozgriders, this is my first post to this forum. I have been looking for some macros to help improving my project plan, but none of the examples I found did quite exactly what I was looking for.

As explained and illustrated in the enclosed spreadsheet, I am trying to build a project plan in Excel. My plan is becoming quite large (300 rows by 900+ columns) and heavy (>3MB). In order to keep track of the project plan (Gantt chart) and of the resources (people) I currently use "IF" formulas and conditional formatting. This works well for a small table, as shown in the enclosed example, but it becomes quite slow for a 300x900 matrix. Therefore I would like to streamline and speed-up this process by using macros.

Can you help me and show me macros that could do the trick?
    I imagine some of you have already built similar project plans in Excel?

Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your knowledge!
    Kind regards,

Greg