Re: Self Destruct Workbook After Not Logging In Within 30 Days
I think that several people out there are missing the point and I'll try to explain it a little more accurately.
1. The workbooks were originally created on my own time at home as a model for a backup process that my current employer uses. We had no definitive backup process to employ should our systems go down.
2. On the occasion that our system was unavailable for sixteen hours due to hardware failure we used my spreadsheets to provide the information to the relevant departments to manufacture and distribute bread products.
3. The process I had created worked so well that it was instituted to augment our process and run in tandem creating a simultaneous dual system to supply the required information.
4. As persons came and left our company they took copies of my worksheets with them as they were designed to work both within and outside our existing network.
5. Most of these people had little knowledge of Excel and even less of VBA but enough intelligence to buy a password breaker for $20-$25 from the internet.
6. I have found out that several other people are spreading these workbooks as their own and I know of one instance where a person I trained to use Excel has gone to a competitor and has secured employment using my workbooks.
7. Litigation is not an option. Not only is it time consuming it is also very expensive and I do not have interest in pursuing these individuals. Eventually they will be found out for what they are.
8. My interest is mainly within the data and the process to create (bread)formulations contained within these workbooks.
Summary: I am no genius with Excel. I had enough knowledge of both our process and Excel to create something to fill a need. Some of the code and calculations were gleaned from sources such as this site and with help from Excel devotees from Pakistan, Japan and USA.
I have given credit within the code to those people who have helped me and my employer is well aware of my limitations. I would like to secure the data as well as the code and calculations but if I can only secure the data I will be extremely happy.
I am currently creating a new set of workbooks to integrate with our system that contains password access to the workbook but after speaking with my bosses they would like to see some form of added security for their data.