Posts by Pesky Weasel

Re: Negative number return in a formula

Not really I'm afraid.

This is what your formula does:

The formula compares numbers to a base value ($I$5) with a tolerance of +/- 0.5%.
    If the value lies within that margin the formula returns 1, otherwise it returns ""

Your sum formula then counts the number of values that meet the above conditions.

Did you need it to do something else?

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Button to increment cell number

dj,

Place a button on the worksheet - makesure it is from the Controls toolbox not the Forms collection.

Double click the button to activate the code pane, in between the buttons click event (this should appear by default) place the following:

Code
    Sheets("sheet2").Range("a6").Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("a6").Value + 1

The end result looks like:

Code
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Sheets("sheet2").Range("a6").Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("a6").Value + 1
    End Sub

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Displaying Sheet Names within one sheet

ethc,

There is no formula that refernces a sheet name. If you really want one paste this code into a standard module:

Code
    Private Function SheetName(Sheet_Index As Integer)

SheetName = Sheets(Sheet_Index).Name

End Function

Use it like this:

=sheetname(1)

where 1 is the order of the sheet in the workbook. Be warned if you change the order of the sheets in the book the column title will change but the references will still point to the original sheet.

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Date range inability

kearnan,

There are two ways to approach this but your information was a little vague.

Method 1:
    In this example I have assumed that the first period spans 17 Oct 2003 to 15 April 2004 - any date within these parameters returns 15 April 2004.
    All other dates outside of this regardless of the year are retuned as 15 April 2004 +180 days (12 October 2004)

=IF(AND(L4>=DATEVALUE("10/17/03"),L4<=DATEVALUE("04/15/04")),DATEVALUE("04/15/04"),DATEVALUE("04/15/04")+180)

Method 2:
    This uses a nested if to restrict the +180 to a definite date range, you will have to supply the final argument of what the formula should return if neither criteria is met.

=IF(AND(L4>=DATEVALUE("17/10/03"),L4<=DATEVALUE("04/15/04")),DATEVALUE("04/15/04"),IF(AND(L4>=DATEVALUE("04/16/04"),L4<=DATEVALUE("10/16/04")),DATEVALUE("04/15/04")+180,"Invalid Date")

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Purdy Spreadsheet examples?

Amadeus,

Welcome in from the cold.

Making Excel look pretty is just a matter of playing around with the formatting tools however see here for some tips on good spreadsheet design.

I cannot emphasise enough that a good spreadsheet has its foundations in a clear and logical data layout, not how many fonts, colours and shades you can squeeze onto one page. Have a look at the AutoFormat under the Format menu - but unless your data is laid out in database table style this will unpredictable results.

Hope That Helps
    Weasel

edit: I changed the name of the post to more accurately reflect the question. This assists with referencing the question with similar posts and the search function. Pleasae see the sticky note - http://http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20947 for further details.

Re: make a formula change another cells value

No - a formula cant influence any cell other than the one it is entered into. Having said that, there is always a workaround but the success of this will depend on how intelligent you want the workaround to be.

Will the positive integer always be 1 digit?
    Will it always be at the end of the text?

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Autofill two rows using r1c1 notation.

Lera,

It is a little hard to suggest a more efficient way of performing the task without seeing the rest of the Sub, could you possible post the complete code (so long as it isnt 100s of lines :) )

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Evaluating numbers less than x

Max,

see commented code below:

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Evaluating numbers less than x

Max0d

There were a few logical errors in your code. Please see sample below and compare the differences, post back if you don't understand why it now works (hopefully :) ).

I presume that the cell J1 contains a count of the number of records.

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Setting Location of Programmatically added Controls by Cell

dopplex,

Welcome to Ozgrid - Glad you like it!

The example below uses the active cells left, top, width & height properties to add a command button to each cell in a selection of cells. To test highlight a range of cells and then run the macro.

Hope that helps
    Weasel

Re: Speeding up VBA Coding

Andrew,

Assuming:

1) Your table contains only the data you wish to effect
    2) There are no gaps in the data
    3) Row one had the column headers

The following should do as you wish -

Regards
    Weasel

Re: assign value to list from VBA

itsmaheshp,

You will have to provide a little more information here:

Does the cell contain a validation list? or
    Do you want to add a value to the cell at the end of a list?

How do you propose to get the value that will be added:
    User input?
    Calculation?
    Variable?

When is the value to be added:
    Button click?
    Conditions met?

Regards
    Weasel

Re: formulas don't resolve

ymoriarty,

Welcome to OZGrid!

Could the formatting of cells be changed to text?
    Try changing the format of the cell to General and then select the cell in Edit Mode (ie make the cursor flash in the formula bar), then hit enter.

Regards
    Weasel

Re: Select In Select

Thanks Will,

I will try that out asap. My introduction to SQL so far has not covered the CASE keyword. Thats 6 keywords now - 994 to go :)

Weasel