Posts by suzannemonette

Re: IF/Then

I was starting to wonder if there was a limit. That's good to know..:) thanks.

How would I use that match function with the IF statment? How do I put both in the same field?

Sue

What's wrong with this formula?

=IF(M3=1,9,IF(L3=1,8,IF(K3=1,7,IF(J3=1,6,IF(I3=1,5,IF(H3=1,4,IF(G3=1,3,IF(F3=1,2,IF(E3=1,1,))))))))

It keeps telling me there's a problem with the last IF(F3=1,2,) portion.

Sue

:) Yup I managed to get that far though there should be an M6 If statement in there...however..of course my luck..I have some questions where more than one answered was chosen. We only have 200 and a bit records in total so I might just go through those manually. Thanks

Sue

Nope..if a 1 appears in one of the doctype fields it means that's the answer that was chosen (and only one can be chosen). What I need is if doctype 1 field was chosen, a 1 is placed in a new field. If doctype 2 was chosen, then a 2 is placed in this same field..etc. So at the end I'll have a field that has either a 1-9 in it (depending on which answer was chosen) or a 0 if no answer was chosen.

Sue

Hi,

I need some help on something. I need a really simple fix here. I have an excel file that contains data from a questionnaire. For some questions there were many choices they could choose from (ie. a,b,c..etc). For questions like this the data was to have been entered into one field with different variables representing which answer was chosen (ie. a=1, b=2, c=3) etc. However...rather than the excel table being set up like this, it was set up in a manner that each possible answer (ie. a, b, c) was given it's own field..and if that answer was selected a 1 was assigned, if it was not selected a 0 was assigned. So..I need a very quick (I need to have this done tomorrow)..way to assigned the proper values to these answers (a=1, b=2..etc) and have them all merged into one field.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sue

Hi,

I need to join to tables again using a common location id to match them up. I tried to use the formula someone gave me on here not long ago but it didn't work and seeing as I don't know what everything in the formula means I can't figure out why it's not working.

I need sheet 1 and sheet 2 to be joined..where records with the same location id end up on the same line, and records that are not common between the two sheets end up on their own line. So there should be the 5 date fields plus the sector name and location id fields.

Anyone? If someone knows I'd also appreciate a little explanation as to what the different parts of the formula mean so I can try to learn it.

Thanks
    Sue

Re: If statements

Hi Thom,

Actually the blank scoring critera was the last line of my explanation..it was no tmeant to a sample "sheet" per se....rather was just the way I chose to describe the scoring I needed to do.

That second one worked but didn't work. It fixed the blanks (and I think I know why the "blanks" weren't blanks before..I used an IF statement to change those fields from YES or NO answers to 1 and 0..and put if it was "" then keep it ""..which I"m now assuming puts in a space?.

Anyways..it doesn't work because it does not give me a 1 in C1 when there is a 1 in A1 and A2.

ASCalese..thanks for the sheet. I won't get the chance to try it today but I"ll let you know how it goes!

Sue

Re: If statements

Hi Guys!

Ok..the first one worked but didn't work. It gave me blanks when B1 was blank, but zeros then A1 was blank. I C1 to be blank if there's a blank in A1 and/or B1. It also didn't give me a 1 in C1 when there was a 1 in A1 and 1 in B1.

The second one didn't work also. No values came up in C1 at all.

I've gone through and done it manually as time has run out on this..but I'd still appreciate learning how to do it using the IF statement. Thanks

Sue

Hi again,

I'm doing these IF statements and I was wondering if there's a way to put a double if statement? Like

If A1 = 0 and B1 = 0 then C1 = 0
    If A1 = 1 and B1 = 1 then C1 = 1
    If A1 = 1 and B1 = 0 then C1 = 0
    If A1 = 0 and B1 = 1 then C1 = 0
    If A1 and/or B1 = "" then C1 = ""

Anyone?

Thanks

Sue

Hi..I don't know how the freak I did it but I have numbers for my column headings instead of letters. When I go to do an IF thingy I get some sort of #Value in red and I"m thinking it's because there's not freaking letters up there. Thanks

Sue

Re: Merging & Matching up tables

Actually, I not only didn't mention the possibility that one of the shortage fields could be left blank, but the description of the coding I gave for a blank being present in both shortage fields was wrong. If a blank is present anywhere (in one field only or both shortage fields) then the BOTH 2003/2004 and the NEITHER 2003/2004 Shortage fields should remain blank. A blank tells us that we just "don't know" for that address.

Again, thanks so much for all your help on this.

Sue

That's something I'll not forget the next time! :)

Ok..so I've looked over it and it seems to be bang on to me. I unfortunately didn't put in an example of a record where one of the shortage fields was left blank. If one of the shortage fields is blank (ie. any of the following combinations, 1:blank, blank:1, 0:blank, blank:0, blank:blank) then a blank is left for both the Neither and Both 2003/2004 fields.

Otherwise it's perfect. When I went to double check my coding description I realized that I had not given a description for the combinations of 1:0 and 0:1. Thanks for catching it and the zeros for those are indeed what is needed there.

Woah!! wait..I think it's working. I saved it..rather than working with it in IE..and opened it. It said it was locked by me for something (no clue what that's about)..anyways..I clicked on the button for the fun of it and hot damn it populated the second sheet! :)

I'll check now to see if it did what I need it to do..crosss fingers..:)

Well the study is an ongoing one but I'm not sure if the next person who has the responsibility of preping these mapping files will be using this workbook. It's possible but at the moment it's just me that will be using it.

Ok..I did that quick view thing again and this time I selected the name plus the quotations..so "ci_FileLocation"..and the value was "ci_FileLocation". I don't know if that makes a difference but thought I'd throw that in there.

Sue

Ok I did that..and as far as I can tell the name is there but I still get the same error code for the same line.

P.S...is there any way I can save this file to my computer rather than work on it through my internet explorer? I can't seem to find how to do that.