Posts by alexanderd

Re: Reverse To Concatenate

given half a chance i will look at that this w/end

Quote from shg

On further thought, I suggest you download and install the MoreFunc add-in. It has a half-dozen regular expression functions that wrapper all the functionality you need. I've had it installed for some time, but had forgotten about it -- a post by Krishnakumar here today reminded me.

Recall that your objective is to develop a regular expression that finds each of the phrases you want to extract and puts pipe characters ("|") between them. Then you can convert formulas to values and do TextToColumns on the result, splitting at the pipe character.

i have known about that add in for ages but it only does concatenate, not the reverse. or i am reading it wrongly

Quote from shg

Regular expressions are indeed challenging - every character is significant, and the meaning of special characters is context-dependent. (Parens around a term mean 'remember me', so to find a paren, you have to escape it with \ -- one of many examples.) That said, it's satisfying to make one work.

It's easiest to develop and test them a term at a time, and then catenate them all.

as you may realise i am out of my depth, how dose one develope and test a term at a time

thank you for the help. seems to be very complex though i will plough through it and hopefully learn as i'm doing that.
    once again thank you for all your help

Quote from shg

Here's your workbook parsed using the regular expression posted earlier.

it is very kind of you to offer the help and support you give to people like my self. can i ask the question
    Const sPatt As String = "^([^(]+) \((\d+)\) (.+\d{4}) (.) (.+).jpg"
    how did you arrive at "^([^(]+) \((\d+)\) (.+\d{4}) (.) (.+).jpg" and what do the sybols "^" stand for I might be able to understand the reasoning( says I ) and then be able to modify the code to take in all different cases

Quote from shg

Here's your workbook parsed using the regular expression posted earlier.

I thank you for all your help, i now know why it would not work, the macro works on the basis that all lines have the same format which mine dose not.
    1) there must be a first set of brackets with numbers inside.
    Is it possible to alter the macro so that it would read the brackets with 2 spaces inside ( ) or (**) and then carry on to the next part of the macro.
    2) inbetween the first and second dates there must be a "D" though i have found that inserting " * " has the same effect.

i seem to upset ervery one if so my appologies, i am going to have to re move and re install winzi, microsoft zipper is madness (to me ) i shall be back later .

thank you for your help up to now sheet 2 is the sheet i have been trying the macro's on.
    sheet one is only some 50% of the final total.
    i have attached a copy for you
    iv'e just found out that you cannot uplift excel vista (.xlsm) files so ive saved it as 2003 xls

Quote from Reafidy

I think you have us round the wrong way. SHG's will throw out an error if you dont have a reference to Microsoft Script Regular Expressions 5.5 in the vba editor.

I am using vista that should not be a problem, when you try my code which line does the code error on?

i am getting an error
    c.Offset(, 5).Value = Split(StrB, " ")(4) & " " & Split(StrB, " ")(5) & " " & Split(Split(StrB, " ")(6), ".")(0)
    Run Time error 9 Subscript out of range

i thank you both for your quick replies, unfortunately, both throw up errors (it could be i am using vista buisness)
    to "shg" i get the following
    Run time error 9 --- subscript out of range

to Refidy if i leave as is " Dim RegEx As RegExp" i get an errror saying user defined type not defined
    if i change Dim RegEx As RegExp " as Range" i get an error saying object variable or with block variable not set.

can either of you help further

can any one suggest a way in which to split the following line into say 5 separate pieces
    George Julius Aaronson (81) 12th Feb 1945 D 9th Jan 1948.jpg
    George Julius Aaronson
    (81)
    12th Feb 1945
    D
    9th Jan 1948
    so that they are in 5 separate cells on a row. just to make things harder no name in the first colum has the same number of forenames or the same number of digits. any help you can give would be appreciated.
    there are possibly 600+ of these lines of which the next one is below
    (Hanna Auerbach (73) 2nd Oct 1949 D 13th Feb 1955.jpg)

Re: Multipage Password Control

at the begining i thought i had opened a can of worms, by asking if Multipage Password Control could be achieved. What has transpired is that by the exchange of information and ideas which you (westic ) and royuk have used there is now a more than usable program for all to use.
    i thank you all for your endevours.

Quote from royUK

This is what I have, will check yours now Westic

some thing weird has happened i have down loaded the file twice and there is an excel file there but just an excel file and no form or anything else, can you help further with this.

Quote from royUK

This is what I have, will check yours now Westic

hi roy just tried to down load the file and cannot access the web page. help!!
    cancell what i have just said down load now ok

Quote from westic

Don't go pasting that code and hoping it will work.
    The Syntax is "up the ----" it is just a really breif outline of wht I am trying to get happening.
    I have the hiding the pages bit up and running but am still looking for a work around password entry.
    Even if you don't use it is is an interesting project.

Regards

WestiC

thank you for that i would be interested to see what you come up with! if you can get it to work.
    thanking you for all your endevours

thank you for your reply, whilst this is a project in the initial stages (it might get thrown out at this particular time ) i have to look forward and plan ahead. having read royUK comments i have started again. but i still favour the multi page approach. I hope you have found a way forward for me.
    once i have over come the initial stages i will come back to you if i may.

Quote from royUK

You can't password protect pages of a MultiPage

thank you for your reply , if i have to use a number of forms, each individual beeing password protected, can you suggest how i can overide all passwords ( as administrator) to re-issue new passwords

i would like the form to open as read only with a password for opening to update. also so that individual pages can be opened and updated with different passwords.
    initially the form would be opened by the administrator, who would only have control of page 1. page 2 and any subsequent pages would only be accessible to different people (nursing, finance ect. ) with an overall password for the computer room to reset passwords or gain access to the form as a whole.
    i know it seems a lot but any help you can give would be appreciated