Posts by cw_lynn

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have since created a workaround for my issue, but it was an interesting delimma.

I had a drop down box which was populated by a named range. As the third party software (Excel Writer) populated data into Excel, the named range should have expanded to accomidate the data. When I had a macro attached to the drop down box, the named range failed to expand. When I took the macro out, it expanded properly and populated the drop down. The macro was simply a retrieve script designed to pull data associated with the choice in the drop down box. I even tried attaching a different, very basic macro to the box and got the same result. My workaround was to create a macro that fired upon opening the workbook to attach my retrieve macro to the box. Have you heard of anything like this happening? Thanks for any input.

Chris

Short version: I am attempting to find the language to execute a macro the first time the right mouse button is pressed by the user. It needs to execute only once per instance of the file being open. Below is the long version of my issue:)

I am attempting to assign a macro to a drop down box, but I'm having a strange issue. We are using third party software to publish data through Excel to the internet, so I assume this is causing the issue. Issue -->The drop down box is populated by a named range, but the range fails to expand and contract properly when the macro is assigned to the box. Is there a creative way to assign the macro to the drop down box after the first click of the mouse by the user? I know how to use a seperate macro to assign the main macro, but what would the trigger language be? I would only want it to assign once per instance of opening the spreadsheet, but not necessarily upon opening, as the third party software is populating data and there could be a conflict. I wouldn't want a button either, as I would prefer a cleaner look.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

We have a program called Excel Writer that populates a range. Depending on the access level of the user, this could be 10 rows of information to 30,000+ rows of data.

My script reads through the data to pull out information meeting a number of criteria. I am using the For Next to step through each line to look for the criteria. I am attempting to tailor the lookup range to the data retrieved to speed up the search.

Chris

I have a For Next Statement in an existing script and I would like to change the row numbers from a hard coded number to a range.

Example

For x = 1 To 100
    should be something like
    For x = Range("Range_Name") to Range("Range_Name")

Range_Name would be cells A1 to A100. I need x to = 1 to 100, not A1 to A100.

I'm probably going about this the wrong way. How do I make that x range variable?

Thanks for any input!

Chris

I have a report that allows users to select an item from a drop down menu (not data validation list, but a drawing object) to display that particular items information. I would like the script that pulls the data item selected to fire upon the change of the drop down menu. I have a Worksheet_Change script, but it doesn't recognize the change of the Cell Link as a change. My list to populate the drop down menu is on a seperate worksheet, so I can't use data validation. Any ideas on how to fire the script?

Thanks,

Chris

Greetings!

I am attempting to insert a row and then have the cell selected move 2 columns to the right to input some data, then a few other places to enter more ingo. I just need to know the setup for that command. Is it R1C1 notation? Is is something like Selection.1xlright.Select?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

I would like to be able to translate the code. This issue is we have a product called Excel Writer that uses Sql. We would like to be able to write the code in Access (Jet) and translate it into Sql.

Is it possible to rename the existing sheet or do I have to do it upon adding the sheet? I'd like to be able to create the sheet and then name the sheet the same at the group is represents. Thanks for the info Jong!

Chris

How do you name a tab in vba? I am attempting to transfer a template to a new file and then create about 20 tabs with a custom populated template for different groups. The problem I'm having is changing the name of the tab to the name of the group, which is listed in cell A1 of each worksheet. It's probably something simple like Sheetname = "Group 1" (or better yet, Sheetname = Range("A1"), but I can't figure it out.

Thanks for any assistance!!!

Chris

How about a sumif formula?

{=SUM(IF(A1:A6="tfo funged",IF(B1:B6="cic",C1:C6,0),0))}

Assuming you only had one instance of each coupling, this would return your value. You could substitute the text references for cells. This is an array forumla, so be sure to strike ctrl, shift, enter after either entering or making any changes to the forumla. The brackets shown above will be displayed once you have correctly activated with the key strokes (so don't added the surrounding brackets, excel will do that).

Good luck.

Chris

Greetings All!

I am attempting to place on a webpage a link to an access query. The data being queried is live, so the idea is to have a person be able to log onto the site, click on the link, and have current data be displayed. The problem I have is joining the link to the site. Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chris

I have a spreadsheet on my pc with a combo box. I emailed the ss as an example to someone in the office and when they tried to create their own combo box, they don't have a control tab in which to link data. If they right click on my combo box, the control tab is there. Wierd.... Anyone seen this before or know if there is a setting they need to adjust in thier Excel?

Thanks.

Chris