Posts by noeyedeer

I'm in over my head !!

Ho hum !!

Things are progressing, slowly but surely.

I am using the below code to look in my column of dates:-

Sub datefind()

Dim TheDate As Date
    Dim Index As Variant

TheDate = Range("C1")

' Find a match for the serial value of the date in the range A1:A10
    ' on Sheet1.
    Index = Application.Match(CLng(TheDate), Range("C2:C50"), 0)

' Display the results.
    If IsError(Index) Then
    MsgBox "Date Not Found"
    Else
    MsgBox "Match item: " & Index
    End If

End Sub

However instead of returning a Msgbox I want to either make the cell the activecell or name it as a range. Any ideas ??

Ho hum !!

Things are progressing, slowly but surely.

I am using the below code to look in my column of dates:-

Sub datefind()

Dim TheDate As Date
    Dim Index As Variant

TheDate = Range("C1")

' Find a match for the serial value of the date in the range A1:A10
    ' on Sheet1.
    Index = Application.Match(CLng(TheDate), Range("C2:C50"), 0)

' Display the results.
    If IsError(Index) Then
    MsgBox "Date Not Found"
    Else
    MsgBox "Match item: " & Index
    End If

End Sub

However instead of returning a Msgbox I want to either make the cell the activecell or name it as a range. Any ideas ??

Good thinking Chris.

Just had a look at Match & Offset and they seem pretty useful.

I'll go and have a thrash about and see if I get any joy with the results.

Cheers :spin:

Chris the summary sheet is set up with the account numbers acros the top and the dates/blances going down the page.

I've never heard of Offset or Match so I'm going to have a look at the Excel Help to see if I can have some sort of clue of what you're suggesting.

noeyedeer by name, noeyedeer by natue !! :puzzled:

Chris, the summary picks up each days balance for each account.

I would think that I need to make sure that the data for a specific account always ends up in a set cloumn so that I can set the link from the summary sheet ?

Things are progressing now, Dave's code splits my accounts into sections.

I am now looking for ideas/suggestions on the final stage of my worksheet.

I need to link this data to another sheet ni my workbook that shows interest rates and amounts, etc.

However by virtue of the fact that the data is always variable (ie different days in each month, opening/closing of accounts) I will need to make sure the balnce for each account is placed in the same column regardless of whether any more/less accounts appear each month.

Is it best for me to name ranges after each account and copy them there or is there a snazzy formual I can use in the front presentation sheet that will search for the data fro the relevant acount ? :puzzled:

Just to clarify my worksheet, I have named a range after each account number.

This is because this worksheet is linked into another that reads the account balances and puts it into a pretier looking sheet and works out the interest.

But I'll worry about getting the right balance to the right area when i can work out how to split the things !!!!:o2

I inserted your code into my sheet and have had severe problems !!

Basically it causes Excel to crash !!

I have saved a copy of the worksheet I am trying to sort so you can try for yourself, any more suggestions ?

Thanks a lot for that Chris, nice work.

Even with my limited VBA knowledge I can see that should pretty much do the job, even if I have to tinker a bit.

I'm back in London in 3 months, so I owe you a beer !! :thumbup:

Perfect Chris, that's pretty much what I have in the first clumn, except that I have them already sorted by account and then by date.

I then want to split each account across the page as you have done. :yes:

Thanks for that Dave, but it's not quite what I'm trying to acheive.

I think it may be easier if I just look at Column A (which holds the account number) and just insert an Entire Row at each change. I can then sort each 'block' of data and get it where I need it.

Does this sound like a better idea ??

The reason I'm trying to line them all up sude by side is so that I can insert weekends and public holidays.

Thought it might be easier to do that rather than sort through this one long list ??

So I have 3 columns, basically one long list of about 40 odd bank accounts.

I would like to break this long list into lots of diferent lists of separate accounts.

So I would end up wth 40 separate lots of data, ideally listed side by side instead of in one long list.

Hope this makes it clearer, but if not let me know.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

I'm very, very stuck !! I have 3 columns of data which has been created by bank software.

Basically column A is an account number, column B is a balance and column C is a date.

Any idea how I can break this column into separate columns for each different account ?

I am new to VBA and have impressed myself with the online help and tips fom various sites, but this one has overloaded my wee brain !!