Posts by giloopp

Re: Representative Sample

Quote from Oskar

Hi!

There might be some mathematically way of calculating what is the minimum number of samples you need.

However, one way of determning it is to run the "simulation" a few times with, lets say, with 1% of the possible samples. How much does your answer change? If it changes only a "litle", then it is enough, if it changes "alot", then it is to few... So, whats litle/alot depends on the problem

using iterative sampling is what risk does...so I need to see how my output behaves from sample to sample?[hr]*[/hr] Auto Merged Post Until 24 Hrs Passes;[dl]*[/dl]

Quote from shg

How about using Solver with integer constraints?

i am going to use Evolver or OptQuest....Solver has still yet to be evaluated...thanks!

Hi!
    I need to optimize an Excel model with 5 variables each of which cam be any value from 1 to 20. The solution space, therefore, contains 3,200,000 combinations. I have a software(Palisade Risk) which can give out a random sampling of this solution space. I need to know how many combinations can be considered as a representative sample of this solution space - e.g. can it be 1%?.
    Thanks!!!
    Dima

Hi!
    I need to find a way to be able to see the contents of the other sheet while working on the current one. Excel has the window split feature but it works only on teh same worksheet. I wonder if there is a way or any plugin to see the contents of other sheet in the same manner. Thanking in advance for any opinion.
    Dima

Re: Running Out Of Columns

I need all the data in the spreadsheet at once since the calculation is interconnected...can you give me the link to how I can use excel formulas in acces?
    thanks!

Hi!
    I am building a massive model in Excel and I am running out of the columns....only 2 left out of the 256 allowed. I need a lot more columns so I am seriously considering moving to Excel 2007. I need your advice - do you think this move is adequate given that I can overcome this column limitation by continuing to build my model in the other sheets and cross-linking them? I will be using Solver or Evolver later on so I am concerned how these perform on Excel 2007. I am more concerned with the speed of excel 2007 when it comes to handling large workbooks.
    ANY thoughts are highly appreciated!
    Dima

Hi!
    I have the following list of values which I want to plot as a zigzag. But when i create a line chart from them, the lines connect the zeros and the non-zero points - while I want the lines to connect only the non-zero points - so that there is a zigzag-like pattern shown...I wonder if this can be done..Thanks!

the Data:

Dima

Re: Best Practice For Large Model

thanks Bill for your explanation......the genetic optimizer is used to solve problems with extremely large number of variables and constraints....i know evolver and solver which do these tasks....i wonder if anyone have experience working with these on genetic optimization tasks....[hr]*[/hr] Auto Merged Post Until 24 Hrs Passes;[dl]*[/dl]

Quote from Dave Hawley

Me too, so it's not you, Reafidy.

That's like saying; "I'm going to build a House that will need proping up later".

Prevention is better than cure and a good foundation IS everything. See EFFICEINT spreadsheet designs

i am building more a calculator than a static model....which will adapt to the various input[hr]*[/hr] Auto Merged Post Until 24 Hrs Passes;[dl]*[/dl]i apologize but i think that your new title is not much more informative than my original one - "Genetic Optimizer"

Hi!
    I have some data entered on different sheets of the same workbook. I select these tables and then try to make a line chart but it only includes the series from the first sheet. I wonder if it is possible to include the data series from the other wroksheet into the chart.
    Thanks!

Hi,
    I wonder if it possible to add non-contiguous cells into a range used by such functions as COUNTIF and LINEST. I tried to do this by using the + sign and CTRL but got an error. I tried:

COUNTIF(F17+F22+I19+K20,G13)
    COUNTIF(F22,I19,J16,J21,I24,H22)

Maybe the solution in the last case is to use semicolon as the formula argument sequencer. Please let me know.
    Thanks