Posts by Bubbis Thedog

Honestly, Barbarr,

I'd never even noticed that I had Optima until a few days ago --just after an Auto Update. Maybe it was a temporary font? As if it was 'timed' or something? No clue. I run Windows 2000 Pro.

Bubbis

This post relates only to Word:

I've been working on a report for a couple of days now in Word, and now the font type (Optima) has disappeared from the drop-down list??? I have automatic updates enabled, but I never expected them to wipe out a font from my collection. Odd. Anyone heard of this?

Bubbis Thedog

Don't know what to say Alan, other than "thanks," friend. I feel very comfortable with what I'm doing now. I'm going to do the paired t-test and ANOVA after I get about 15 more time periods (weeks) included in my data. I'm familiar with both tests, but I've never used them in Excel. Now's a better time to learn than ever, huh!

Thanks for your kindness and patience, Alan, and you have a great day.

Bubbis Thedog

Thanks for the Guidance, Alan!

Alan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to lead me in the right direction. I'm new to this position, and your expertise is invaluable. All I need is a catalyst or a little guidance every now and then. :)

Considering the logic behind your analysis, I think I'll go ahead and extend the time frame to 20 weeks; then to 25; then to 30;...; then to n. Maybe then I can start making some accurate predictions (doubtful because I'm guessing that the STDEV, even for all calls, will still be pretty high; but we'll see).

Man, I did well in Statistics in school, but it's entirely different in the real world! I do understand everything you said, though, and you're dead-on right, Alan. Let me ask you one last thing, friend: You said that you would now want to do a confidence test. Are you talking about hypothesis testing?

Thanks again for taking the time to offer that invaluable advice, Alan.

Bubbis Thedog

P.S. You assumed correctly: I'm not a statistician. I do hold a degree in Mathematics though. Though I understand the premise behind novice - semi-advanced statistics, I'm much better at proving/ explaining things using mathematics than applying statistics for the time-being. I'm getting better thanks to folks like you, though!

Thanks, Stan...

Hey, there, Stan.

I had already pulled all of the average wait times (among other related figures) per half hour and ran a few reports. It is, you're right, the best way to determine whether or not we need to hire a part-timer to fill-in during those times when we get hit the hardest. I was just asked by one the supervisors if there was a way to predict (to a reasonable extent, of course) what periods of the day they receive the most inbound calls. So, naturally, I wrote up the quickest thing I possibly could since all of the values --no matter how they were lined up-- had such high standard deviations. Oh, well... Can't say I didn't try, eh? hehehehe

Thanks again for the input Stan.

Bubbis Thedog

Thanks so much for doing that, Alan...

Alan, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to show me what you think I was doing incorrectly. What you did on your spreadsheet is exactly what I would've done if I wanted to see what amount of calls for all days were most frequent (between 8 and 18 by looking at the histogram). Could you please elaborate (if you have the time) how this discovery/your approach can help me predict peak inbound call volumes?

Thanks again, Alan, for all your help.

Bubbis Thedog

I Would Very Much Like to See What You Did, Alan!

For the two charts that you did (pivot and histogram), I think you only need the first worksheet, yes? My suggestion is to delete the second worksheet of mine, and then then add the pivot table as a new sheet and just put the histogram on the first sheet. Perhaps that will make it under 45K? Heck, I dunno; please don't spend too much time on this, you've already helped me greatly just by giving me a knowledgeable suggestion.

Thanks again, Alan!

Bubbis Thedog

Thanks for the Ideas, Alan!

I didn't see an attachment included with your post, and I'm very curious to see your ideas!

The reason I organized the data by day of the week is because comparing a Wednesday with a Friday is, I feel, not a great idea when trying to make a prediction when peak times will occur. The reason is that, typically, Wednesdays are much busier than Fridays; I thought that comparing a group of Wednesdays or a group of Fridays, etc., would be the best approach. Then, I simply ranked the top 3 or 4 highest inbound call volumes per day of the six-week period (for a statistical analysis, I know that this is a short period of time, but our call volumes vary greatly with the seasons; that is, our late summer call volume is usually lower than our overall early-to-mid summer call volume, so I began anew in August), assigned a value to them (much like a teacher assigns a 4.0 for an A), and then added them up, horizontally --that is, by time interval. That's not statistics, I know, friend; but, with that few samples, I was sort of in a rut, and had to come up with something.

Can't wait to see your ideas, and thanks so much for spending the time to reply!

Bubbis Thedog

Hello, all.

I was just wanting to know if anyone had an opinion regarding my approach and spreadsheet setup toward helping our call center predict peak inbound calls for half-hour intervals. I decided to use data from the past six weeks. At first, the supervisor wanted to predict how many inbound calls we would receive per time interval; but the values are so dispersed that that seemed like a failed project from the get-go. So, I decided just to attempt to predict what time interval may receive the most calls. Instead of going in detail about my method, I'll just attach the workbook. Any opinions about my method or spreadsheet setup would be greatly appreciated!

Bubbis Thedog

Thank You both so much!

Shades, Andy, both ideas worked perfectly. Thank you both so much! I almost had it actually: I set up the =IF(...,...,NA()) matrix, but I was having it return the wrong value.

You guys jam; thanks again.

Bubbis Thedog

Hello, folks.

I'll just show you all the data first off:

Time Interval VMU Time VMU Occ
    9AM - 9:29AM 0:32 3
    9:30AM - 9:59AM 0:42 8
    10:00AM - 10:29AM 0:10 2
    10:30AM - 10:59AM 2:26 1
    11AM - 11:29AM 0:00 0
    11:30AM - 11:59AM 0:02 1
    12PM - 12:29PM 0:00 0
    12:30PM - 12:59PM 0:00 0
    1PM - 1:29PM 0:12 6
    1:30PM - 1:59PM 0:35 2
    2:00PM - 2:29PM 0:32 3
    2:30PM - 2:59PM 0:30 1
    3:00PM - 3:29PM 0:06 1
    3:30PM - 3:59PM 0:00 0
    4PM - 4:29PM 0:04 1
    4:30PM - 4:59PM 0:00 0

The first column represents a the time intervals of our call center work day; the second column represents the time of voice mail unavailability; and the third column represents the number of occurrences of voice mail unavailability. What I'd like to do is create a simple bar chart (Time Interval vs. VMU Chart), where each bar is column 2 in height, and designated a color corresponding to an integer value found in column 3.

So, for example, the time interval of 1PM-1:29PM will be 00:12 in bar-height, and colored, let's say, red; so the color of red had been assigned the value of 6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Bubbis Thedog

Why is it that I can format a data series formatted pretty much however I want, but the 'Transparency' settings can never be altered? This is frustrating as I have a 3-D area chart, and I'd like to make a series semitransparent so that it does not block out one behind it if it's there. I tried a 3-D bar chart, by the way, and it's not nearly as descriptive as the area chart. Any help would be appreciated!

Bubbis Thedog

Hey, Cunners.

I can almost guarantee that there's a tick mark before 38247 in the formula bar. This is probably what's preventing you from formatting the dates the way you want them. You need to go to each cell, delete the tick mark, and then you can format at-will.

HTH

Bubbis Thedog

I used the checkbox from the Forms toolbar, and emulated what xlite did, and what I wanted done worked perfectly. I'm still a little confused about the checkboxes being 'embedded,' though; I don't consider dragging them over top of the chart 'embedding.' Sorry, Andy, I can't see by that link that you sent (maybe I'm just overlooking it) where this is explained.

Thanks for spending the time to help!

Bubbis Thedog